What is the Bradford Factor
The bradford factor is a simple formula for companies to apply relative weighting to unplanned absences for their employees e.g. Sickness / Childcare / Appointments etc. Bradford Factor supports the main goal of tracking and scoring repeat absences have a greater operational impact than longer term sick leave.
How is it calculated
Calculating an employee’s Bradford Factor score is typically calculated over a 52-week and uses the Bradford Formula:
S x S x D = B:
- S = Spells or number of absence occasions over a rolling 52-week period
- D = Total number of days absent in a rolling 52-week period
- B = Bradford Factor score
Example: an employee who was off 4 times, covering a span of 12 days in total, would be calculated as; 4 x 4 x 12 = 192
Enabling Bradford Factor
To setup Bradford Factor, simply navigate as an admin to the Admin > Leave types page and then edit a leave type. On this edit page you will see the ability to enable "Include In Bradford Factor Calculations".
Enabling Approvers access
By default, only admins can view the Bradford Factor report and scores, to allow approvers to view the report and scores for their employees, simply navigate to the company settings page and enable "Show Approver His Approvees' Bradford Factor Value".
Enabling User access
By default, only admins can view the Bradford Factor report and scores, to allow users to view their own Bradford Factor score, simply navigate to the company settings page and enable "Show User His Bradford Factor Value".
Reporting and overrides
The Bradford Factor report can be accessed under the Reports dropdown. Within the report it shows:
- Name - The user
- Bookings - Number of bookings made that fall under the Bradford Factor enabled leave types
- Days - Number of days booked for these bookings
- Points - The number of Bradford Factor points from these bookings
- Edit - The ability to exclude specific past bookings for an individual in extenuating circumstances